Friday, May 22, 2009

Why I Make Soap

Why do I make soap? Well...there are so many reasons. It started as a hobby to find some other solutions to my son's eczema. The doctor gave us a steroid cream sample, and suggested some lotions for his eczema. However, the word "steroid" just scared me! I started researching on the Internet, and learned about the benefits of oatmeal, essential oils, herbs, and various natural antioxidants.

Finding natural solutions that actually worked was easy. However, creating a good soap base to add them to was more challenging. Making soap takes practice, and patience. It takes several weeks for the soap to completely form. Then it takes a few weeks to test the product. I used myself to test the product because I also get eczema on my arms during the winter.

Over time, I created a formula that worked. During the process, I also accidentally discovered other uses that helped things like athletes feet and sore muscles. However, the real joy is watching how it helps others.

People still look at me like I'm crazy when I offer them a sample of soap. I know there are others out there with problem skin and athletes feet. I also have learned that most people want soap with a scent. So I have had to give in, but I have kept it natural. I only scent the soap with essential oils like lemongrass, lavender, and rosemary essential oils. Why? Because if you have sensitive skin, artificial scents just irritates it more.

Experts say you should find a career that you are passionate about. My love of math lead me to a career in accounting. My love of math has also helped with creating my soap formulas. Making soap gives me a chance to relax, dream, and be creative.

Want a sample? Just email me at: fanuppasoaps@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment